Linuxchix in Bangalore

poornima.v.bharadwaj poorni_bharadwaj at SaI0NNOnmtM4IQfQnSf9zUTzh6vkdaBwPi5-oMPq7m5iS9A9GwEJRUSMYWTBLKX1MO9onS0-xhrdYxr8y6OwcIfcjqJS.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 21 21:54:39 UTC 2007

--- In Indianlc at yahoogroups.com, "Vid Ayer" <svaksha at ...> wrote:

> Ok, sorry but i am doing something i usually dislike ...top-post !
> That grrl was Nethra, dunno if she created a blog as she promised.
>
> On Dec 14, 2007 3:08 PM, Ankita Garg <gargankita at ...> wrote:
>
> >   Hi Priya,
> >

> > On Dec 14, 2007 1:22 PM, priya venkateshan
<priyaven at ...<priyaven%40gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > On Dec 14, 2007 12:45 PM, Vid Ayer
<svaksha at ...<svaksha%40gmail.com>>

> > > <priyaven at ... <priyaven%40gmail.com><priyaven%40gmail.com>>

> > and

> > > those

> > > keep
> > any
> > > for

> > > In my college (NITK, Surathkal), we already have active forums
for Linux
> > > users, and a fair amount of linux evangelism, and a good number
of linux
> > > users, and a growing number of people whose primary operating
system is
> > > some
> > > flavor of linux.
> > > But I haven't seen the same level of enthusiasm or interest for
linux in
> > > engineering colleges in Bangalore, like RVCE or PESIT, or for that
> > matter,
> > > much interest in FOSS, kernel hacking, etc. And I guess
something needs
> > > be done, considering this is Bangalore, Silicon Valley of India
and all.
> > > So if we can interest atleast a few from each college, I'm sure
there
> > must
> > > already be quite a few who are interested, we can tie-up with
them, or
> > with
> > > alumni of these colleges who are active in the linux scene, to
make the
> > > rest
> > > aware of the world of foss and linux.
> > >

> > I am aware of the large number of Linux activities that go on in
> > NITK..esp with the active Open group that you guys have! Regarding
> > colleges like PESIT (where I come from ;) ) & RVCE, yeah, there are
> > not too many things going on. My company is in touch with PESIT and we
> > have already started a Linux course there (but this mostly a kernel
> > course). I had conducted a session there. But inpsite of this,
> > students still do not use Linux as there primary OS for Lab work. I
> > guess the push needs to come from the department. I am not sure if
> > that is in our agenda at the moment.
> >
> > I guess once we have some volunteers from some of the colleges, we can
> > get started. We could help them establish a Linux users group in their
> > college and they could take it from there.
> >
> > /me looks for the bright lady from RVCE who had attended the BoF and
> > had volunteered for LinuxChix...I forget her name though (sorry!).
> >
> > > cheers
> > > priya

Hi there!
I am from MSRIT. Our college mandates the use of Linux OS for labs
from 3rd year(that is when students are introduced to Unix according
to syllabus).
Our college has a linux users' group called VRLINUG.  The group keeps
in contact regularly via the active mailing list. VRLINUG has also
been successfully conducting a technical conference called  mukthi (
www.mukthi.vrlinug.org ) with people like Atul Chitnis, Andrew Cowie
and others as key speakers! The goal of this event is to inspire and
support innovation, advocate the use of free and open source software
and encourage contributions to the community in all forms.
However, more seminars and workshops could be conducted and thereby
bring in awareness.. :)

Regards,
Poornima