[Indianlc] LinuxChix numbers...

|| स्वक्ष || svaksha at 1W707mOyy7zuQoM5Gj-VwEV08YVgUiVyAknSTrftz-pij8KTBBQ--ZHyvBIDAJul839_Uko99vZQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jan 6 05:14:27 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> I guess we are all concerned about the low numbers of women in the
> world of GNU/Linux, and largely accept that this is a problem area.

Hmm.... Its a known fact, so instead of discussing endlessly about the
reasons why not take some positive action.

> If this is so, then do we have any plans to increase their numbers in
> the world of FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software).

1] JOBS... unless Indian firms start hiring more women for Linux
related work and advertise this prominently it is very unlikely that
women will even be interested in learning Linux. They need to reduce
the entry barrier and not compromise on work quality or skill.

2] LocalGroups... Local LUG's could ask the women in their cities to
share or speak about their experiences to other people and debunk the
myth that Linux is for nerds only.

3] InstallFest... This is fairly common practice in LUG's abroad.. So
why not try this locally with a twist. A few LUG members could team up
and find any person who wants to try Linux but is unsure. Women
volunteers will do the needful installation / customisation, supports
.. etc and later integrate the new member into the main city LUG/ML.

cheers,
Vid