[Fwd: [Issues] [Fwd: [etc-int] Fwd: for geeky women]]

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at 26gS9VLoRCybXgevrzxrSDge2X88rif79A5x3fNPH0fJw69QYuDtjABZ8bLN-dZaKMdm9KxgtGJGnmihz6_0bPcPzydySWEvHBkh6A.yahoo.invalid
Thu Nov 24 14:13:41 UTC 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Issues] [Fwd: [etc-int] Fwd:  for geeky women]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:25:25 +0000
From: Paula Graham <paula at IP6crHWGEZtFcZ7lgP7qp_bXSHYhWaYHSzg4IHVrDV9FIUbEp6t7pU8vwhOIKytZWjUOGcA6A0T4JXmy2-JC.yahoo.invalid>
To: LinuxChix issues list <issues at Gg4tFJFmQjLPZK1VSntWJsPVXCHsSqL7ZY69TCYzJZKTB9wRdmtD3sD99Aa-j9SH7AQO0CPOIsILNU0.yahoo.invalid>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[etc-int] Fwd: for geeky women
Date: 	Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:05:51 +1300
From: 	Helen Varley Jamieson <helen at VTAICnMTceuJTVsvZ93arPeKjFW7YB6BRc3KLDq3KnVT8vRc49g9_Lcl9zUQbI42BTuAV7d5pBHHDlW4vNxjiCdfw_Cy.yahoo.invalid>
To: 	etc-int at kfVh_WFD0ssDYwW_XSBQMWhMIPuK3hxph6DO_HGkVsNqVmCBlMtmj_qga24fNPseRfX9jNRY1yjoEFCC1tKkUMNbMP3Pzal2w0Vz.yahoo.invalid

>Begin forwarded message:
>
>(Please forward to any geeky female friends you may have...)
>
>Annalee Newitz and Charlie Anders are editing an anthology of essays
>titled She's Such a Geek; below is a copy of the call for subs
>(posted with permission). Spread the word!
>
>Note that this anthology is open only to female writers.
>
>She's Such a Geek An Anthology by and for Women Obsessed with
>Computers, Science, Comic Books, Gaming, Spaceships, and Revolution
>
>Slated for Fall 2006
>
>Geeks are taking over the world. They make the most popular movies
>and games, pioneer new ways to communicate using technology, and
>create new ideas that will change the future. But the stereotype is
>that only men can be geeks. So when are we going to hear from the
>triumphant female nerds whose stories of outer space battles will
>inspire generations, and whose inventions will change the future?
>Right now.
>
>Female geeks are busting out of the labs and into the spotlight. They
>have the skills and knowledge that can inspire social progress,
>scientific breakthroughs, and change the world for the better, and
>they're making their voices heard, some for the first time, in
>Annalee Newitz and Charlie Anders' book She's Such a Geek. This
>anthology will celebrate women who have flourished in the male-
>dominated realms of technical and cultural arcana. We're looking for
>a wide range of personal essays about the meaning of female nerdhood
>by women who are in love with genomics, obsessed with blogging,
>learned about sex from Dungeons and Dragons, and aren't afraid to
>match wits with men or computers. The essays in She's Such a Geek
>will explain what it means to be passionately engaged with technical
>or obscure topics-and how to deal with it when people tell you that
>your interests are weird, especially for a girl. This book aims to
>bust stereotypes of what it means to be a geek, as well as what it
>means to be female.
>
>More than anything, She's Such a Geek is a celebration and call to
>arms: it's a hopeful book which looks forward to a day when women
>will pilot spaceships, invent molecular motors, design the next ultra-
>tiny supercomputer, write epics, and run the government.
>
>We want introspective essays that explain what being a geek has meant
>to you. Describe how you've fought stereotypes to be accepted among
>nerds. Explore why you are obsessed with topics and ideas that are
>supposed to be "for boys only." Tell us how you felt the day you
>realized that you would be devoting the rest of your life to
>discovering algorithms or collecting comic books. We want strong,
>personal writing that is also smart and critical. We don't mind if
>you use the word "fuck," and we don't mind if you use the word
>"telomerase." Be celebratory, polemical, wistful, angry, and just
>plain dorky.
>

>Possible topics include:

> [...]

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at VTAICnMTceuJTVsvZ93arPeKjFW7YB6BRc3KLDq3KnVT8vRc49g9_Lcl9zUQbI42BTuAV7d5pBHHDlW4vNxjiCdfw_Cy.yahoo.invalid
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.writerfind.com/hjamieson.htm

You see things; and you say 'Why?';