Bringing Women into LC was (Re: Intro to LCI list)

Archana.S.R archu.oct at oAw6RziyxV4OYQdLQLG6MRREooKG0g65j1DAnv6-bPvG7ph3MF3sEc4dkkgIu5g1MWAb0ttviHtNy8w.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 17 17:20:30 UTC 2005

I think GNU has a word to be mentioned in the site..
everything comes as interwined circles.. each one played an important
role in establishing Linux in the society... There may be few minor
aspects which may be considered major by few people.. but that doest
mean to chadow GNU frm the list. This is not GNU list, but i think GNU
must be there in the site.

> o The low participation rates by women in the GNU/Linux networks, and
> reasons for the same.

lack of exposure is wat i wil say as the first point fred....
many of my colleagues and counterparts think linux and stuff as geeky,
but practically it is not... and also they dont have people wo tel
them to have a look at linux. And most important there is less
awareness about licensing and patent issues.

> o What can be done to remedy the situation. How do we encourage
> greater women's participation, and acknowledgement/respect for their work.

Thats the important question.
wat i do here is try to make them use linux an dtell the prospects in
knowing and learnign linux, it depends on the person to whom we are
talking to. If she knows more about patents stuff we can go through
GNU philosophy, else we jus need to make the point that there is more
competing careers in linux and make her feel comfortable n working
with it.

> o How do we network more women from user-groups across India in this
> group.

this can be done in a better way.
i jus joined a s/w company and iam talking about linux there..
(unfortunately very few care about it, but i continue...) and try to
gather girls over there to the linux group, many wil be working in
linux oriented technologies but they dont know about the existence of
such groups and forums and thinking the other way, probably they dont
have time ... :-(

> It would be nice to hear from the others as to what are the pressing
> problems that can be tackled/discussed here.

yes fred, i too want more ideas to be shared here...
come on girls, start pouring ur thoughts on the issues..

--
Archana.S.R.