[Indianlc] wat about our policies?

Runa Bhattacharjee runa.misc at Kmithr3Dq0wB6pTBbyOGfPh5Td8Y7YGf5OCQjx7q2UWFCpNVtdP2_j4VacRWkMum4opAiEzmYzrh.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 11 08:16:25 UTC 2005

Jhinuk Cchowdhury wrote:

> > 1-> are we goign to have only women out here? If no, then wat are the
> > consideration we might think to have for males? do we need to moderate
> > their post?
>
> Since we have just started, may be we could check what's linuxchix.org
> 's policy like, w.r.t and then go about it. Though personally I
> wouldn't mind men participating, ofcourse it has to be people with
> good knowledge on Linux, so we, as a group which has just started off,
> can benefit from their knowledge base.

most of the other women-in-linux forums allow male members to join up
hence checking up with these is a sensible idea. Besides, preventing men
from joining up can never be feasibly implemented. :) Given the primary
objective of the group i.e. to create a forum for
women-linux-[users/geeks/enthusists/newbies] the least one can expect
from the male members is to maintain a dignified presence without
overshadowing or making the women in the group uncomfortable.

> > 2-> wat about ordinary post moderation? i dont think we need this.

Post moderation is a tedious task as it would need constant monitoring
and subsequently result to delay in posting/replying. Of course this
would make the group vulnerable to spam attacks but then banning such
spammers is comparitively much less of a hassle.

> > 3-> wat are the activities we are goign to plan?
> If you mean activities w.r.t online discussions, lets ask for the
> suggestions of our members on the topics we could discuss. Let's
> shortlist at least ten of those and keep posting rotating on a four
> day basis....

Well, why not create a chatroom or irc channel where the members can
hang out. this can help us be familiar with each other. discussion
topics might crop up spontaneously while the "post-to-rotate" as
suggested by jhinuk can be taken forward as something like a
"featured-for-the-week" discussion topic.

just my 2ps

regards
Runa