[Courses] Absolute Beginning C: void?

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Feb 6 05:40:25 UTC 2012

I wanted to shout-out two quick notes here:

1) This is a *super* helpful course, and being able to overhear
discussions after each lesson is downright awesome; as a deaf
engineering student, I was never able to "eavesdrop" on my older
colleagues in the embedded world talking shop like this, and probably
missed out on a world of learning as a result. Thank you all so, so much.

2) Because there may be some folks who really are "absolute beginners"
with C and programming here, and I've sat in the "oh my gosh, I'm lost,
maybe I shouldn't be here" awkward silence sidelines in the past:

It's *totally* normal to not be able to follow all the discussions that
are happening right now. Heck, I've *worked* as a C programmer, and
still find a lot of challenging and unfamiliar things in these
discussions that I need to take plenty of time to chase down, look up,
try out, etc... so it's not that you're unprepared/not-ready for this,
it's a sign you're in an environment that's going to challenge you to
learn. Think of it as going to a different country where folks are
speaking a language you don't know -- as you keep listening and
learning, the conversations you overhear will gradually make more and
more sense over time. Promise!

I'll try to actually ask coding questions next time. ;)

--Mel