[Courses] [python] Using IDLE

Kathryn Marks kathryn.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 22:59:59 UTC 2011

I have IDLE on my little Windows netbook.  I like how you can easily run a
program while in IDLE.

I think I scared myself off of installing python when it's already on my mac
mini (snow leopard), which incidentally gives you the option to run a .py
file with either 2.5 or 2.6.

Right now I'm using TextWrangler, saving to a specific dropbox directory and
then right clicking and running.

Ivan, is it difficult to install python on a mac from their site?

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.avery.frey at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Just thought I mention it, I installed IDLE on my PowerBook G4 (Mac OS X
> 10.5). It came with the Python 2.7.2 package from the Python site. I also
> had to install the proper version of ActiveState's TCL.
>
> IDLE is a simple integrated development environment for Python. It can be
> installed on Fedora:
>
> sudo yum install python-tools
>
> or Ubuntu:
>
> sudo apt-get install idle
>
> Running a script in IDLE is slower though.
>
> Ivan.

~Kathryn