[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:29:02 UTC 2011

1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is running,
    on which operating system, distro and version. Please post your results!
    Especially if python3 is the default, or if you have any other problems
    running the examples.

	I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) on a PowerBook G4. Everything worked fine
here. The command python defaults to version 2.5.1 here, but I can choose to run
2.6.6 if I call python using python2.6.

2. Why are there two commas in
     print "Hello,", name
     ? What do you think the difference is between them?

The second comma separates the arguments of the print command. The first comma
is part of the first argument and becomes part of the output.

3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

Something to do with a snake swallowing its own tail.