[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Sharon Stern backoftheboat at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 04:52:28 UTC 2011

Thanks for teaching this course -- I'm really exciting to be learning some
Python after a couple of years of not programming at all.

1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is running,
>   on which operating system, distro and version. Please post your results!

  I'm using version 2.6.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.7

2. Why are there two commas in
>    print "Hello,", name
>    ? What do you think the difference is between them?

I also think the first is printed out as part of the string, and the second
concatenates with a space. Is there any way to concatenate without a space?

3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

Because someone thought it would make a cool O'Reilly cover?

Thanks,
Sharon

--
All models are wrong, but some are useful (George Box)