[Courses] [python] Object-oriented programming

Leslie leslie.brothers at verizon.net
Sun Jul 31 13:44:43 UTC 2011

Hi.  This is a question pertaining to Lesson 7.
It is about functions I find in python 'help'.

In interactive mode, let's say I create a simple list named 'mylist'.
I type dir() and I can see that it is there.
I type help (mylist).

This puts me in Help on list objects.
First I get some methods (__add__, __contains__, and so on).
Then come entries which  do not have double underscores on either side
(append, count, etc.).

I have learned from Lesson 7 how to use the latter (e.g., mylist.append,
mylist.count).

Here is my question. I don't understand how to use the ones with double
underscores around them.  The only example we saw of such a creature in
this lesson is __init__.

Thanks!

-Leslie