[Courses] [python] Googling isn't cheating :-)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Jul 8 16:22:12 UTC 2011

Monique Y. Mudama writes:
> I'd like to expand on this - please let me know if I'm stepping on
> toes / spamming / annoying by doing so:
>
> Someone once told me - a good programmer doesn't know everything; but
> she knows where to find it.

Not stepping on toes at all. Excellent comment, and I completely
agree.

> I have never wanted to be defined by a single programming language; I
> want people to see me as someone who solves problems with the best tools
> available.  Realistically, when you switch programming languages every
> few months or so, you aren't going to be able to remember every nuance
> of the language.

Agreed there, too. Most programmers know lots of languages. They're
similar enough that once you know one, picking up another one isn't
a big deal. But they're different enough that you won't remember all
the details of every language. I'm forever forgetting whether a
languages uses else if or elsif or elif, or whether I need to use
len(l) or l.len or l.length().  And as you say, that can happen even
in languages you're quite fluent in, if you've been working in a
different language for a few months.

Natalie Freed writes:
> I'll add something I've found helpful for learning: Google a solution
> and make sure I understand it, but then close the window and code it
> up myself.

Right! That's the key.

	...Akkana