[Courses] Rcmdr and tcltk trouble

Mike kenziem at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 30 14:54:12 UTC 2009

Now that I can read the ps file,  on to the next

I am unable to get Rmdr to work

> library("Rcmdr")
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
  Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded

> library("tcltk")
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
  Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error in library("tcltk") : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

but library()   show the tcltk library there
and .libPaths()  show the correct paths

capabilites("tcltk") returns false

installl.packages("tcltk)   returns package ‘tcltk’ is not available,  I tried
a few different mrrors

tclsh and wish both open fine

tcl8.4 and tk8.4 are both installed under /usr/share/tcl

Found a few references to this error,  but solution refered to buiding from
source,  not using the SuSE package.

Any further thoughts?
Am I looking at an upgrade this weekend :(
--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600