[Courses] [Techtalk] Any interest in a Statistics/R course/study group?

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Wed Sep 2 16:03:50 UTC 2009

Mani A wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Anne-Laure
> Buisson<alaure.buisson at gmail.com> wrote:

> First create your moodle account at http://courses.linuxchix.org/,
> join the courses mailing list
>

>> Maybe before the 5�: Basic statistical test (Kolmogorov Smirnov, Student,
>> Anova.. )
> One cannot expect everybody to know enough statistics, so tests should
> be distributed across 2, 5, 9. chi-square

Well, sure, but maybe we'd like the challenge and would be inspired to
do the required study to become knowledgeable.
Besides, even if some haven't such "knowledge" or interest (need) now
they well may have in their future.
Therefore I would hope a course that would allow for future learning and
reference is considered worthwhile.

>> A new one : Data mining with R : Neural network, cluster analysis,�PCA... (R
>> have powerful tools, but not always the capacity to Handle the big
>> database.. ), and Graphs analysis.
>> and R also have easy way of handeling times series...
>
> Everybody will not have the background for these topics.

Same as above.
Still an introduction and reference list for further self study would be
grand.

  The best
> thing would be something like 8. Knowing about available packages is
> not really easy and getting to know about the capability of particular
> packages is another thing.  But a little can always be introduced.
> ts, ast, arima ...ok
>
> using databases with R can be a topic
>

> OK, ...the first task should be to do the prelim moodle stuff and  fix
> a few reference texts and
>
> Schedule: we will decide soon...
>
> Best
>
> A. Mani