[Courses] Any interest in a Statistics/R course/study group?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Aug 31 19:03:10 UTC 2009

Several of us on IRC were just talking about statistics
and the R project for statistics and data visualization:
  http://www.r-project.org/
and how we'd like to learn more about this topic, but it's
tough to get started and to figure out what you need to learn.

And meanwhile, some of you may already know that we have this
wonderful newly fixed Moodle install on courses.linuxchix.org.
Julie Pichon. Penny Leach, Terri Oda and Brenda Wallace all
coordinated to upgrade our postgres and Moodle, fix the old
single-signon problem with Moodle AND get all the old archived
courses migrated into Moodle.  The only thing that's missing to
test out this fancy-schmancy Moodle is ... new courses!

Okay, so we don't actually have an instructor who knows R
and statistics well enough to teach it. (Any volunteers?)
But why should we let a little thing like that stop us?

If there are enough of us interested, I'm thinking we could
form a study group and use Moodle to coordinate our studies.
Decide how much we want to do each week, come up with homework
that we can work on and discuss.

Anyone interested?

	...Akkana