[Courses] [Postgresql] Installing PostgreSQL and Assignments

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Tue Nov 27 18:47:00 UTC 2007

-----------------SNIP---------------------------------------

> postgresql-common
>    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 23 not upgraded.
>    Need to get 4550kB of archives.
>    After unpacking 22.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> So this picks up the basics that you need - postgresql-8.2 which is the
> server, plus the client and common files. The documentation is also useful.

Okay.. Running Debian SID
So for this sys: I did the apt-get install postgresql--client-8.2,
postgresql-doc-8.2, postgresql-contrib-8.2
The usual installation followed.
A brief look about the system with the locate command finds a buch of
stuff installed.

> //**Assignment for the Week**//
>
>    * Install Postgresql on your platform of choice. If you have more
> than one available, install on as many as you'd like
>    * If you took the easy road (installing via a package manager)
> download and install the PG Beta (8.3) in /usr/local/src if you want to.
>    * Open the client as the postgres user:
>
>      $ sudo su - postgres (if on Ubuntu - otherwise become the postgres
> user to create a database)
>      $ createdb test
>      $ psql test

Well issuing:
apogee:/home/beaumarchais#postgres returns: command not found
beaumarchais at apogee$sudo su postgres retuns: sorry beaumarchais not in
sudoers list
> otherwise become the postgres >> user to create a database)

Okay, so what does one look for?
apogee:/home/beaumarchais#pg seems to work, but not certain.

>    * Have a look around at the commands (much more on this next week!)
>    * Tell us all how it went? Any snags? Did you install it on a
> different platform (like BSD for instance?)

I tried to pull in pg8.3 but dep. issues prevented this.. maybe later,
or I'll go for local compile version.
Sorry for the less than stellar questions.
Thank you,
matthew