[Courses] [Postgresql] What is PostgreSQL?

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Nov 23 04:33:59 UTC 2007

> - Give us a brief intro to yourself, and why you are taking this course
    i have some programming experience; i prefer C and bash
shell scripting, i'm serious about learning python. i'm passionate
about free open source.
    i'm broke and refuse to work with MSFT products and hope to
avoid all proprietary products if i can. i need work and every
application uses a database (or several databases).
    for a couple or three decades i've had a recurrent daydream
about writing a relational database in assembly language. i'm
too lazy and/or distracted.
    i'll probably lurk and hope to learn basic wisdom, most
importantly: data modeling.

> - If you haven't already, think of a concrete project you'd like to use
> PG with. Share with us a brief synopsis of the project: the problem,
> the
> platform, the approach you'll think you'll take, and why you think PG
> might be a good fit. It should be something that will be fun, and
> perhaps a bit challenging for you.
>
> The project is important. It's been my experience that it's much easier
> to learn something when you have a concrete need, than just doing
> something in the abstract.
    a database that is a repository for information shared by a
community, presupposing all data is validated by a committee
before it's allowed in.
    the primary purpose of this database is to construct
documentation that is consistent in its use of terms and claims
(e.g. product features).
    the efficiency of writing data is not important. The ability to
read data and amalgamate it into data sheets, functional
specifications, marketing information, white papers, user
documentation, and so on, in a manner that enforces
consistency across the entire range is the point.