[Courses] [Postgresql] What is PostgreSQL?

Peggy Baker pbaker at dbdes.com
Thu Nov 22 23:12:05 UTC 2007

Hi all--

- Give us a brief intro to yourself, and why you are taking this course

I'm a semi-techie but have spent most of my technical life working with MS
Access, either all by itself or as the front end to postgres databases.  I'm
work with a consulting group that does web- and desktop-based database work
and also website development and design using Drupal and even Dreamweaver.
I'm techie enough that under the inspiration of this group I just installed
Ubuntu into a virtual machine on my Windows Vista laptop.  Good way to kill
a Thanksgiving afternoon. I live in Chicago and do some travelling to see
clients (mostly schools) in New York, Philly, and Boston. My goal is to
learn more about how to talk to postgres using SQL statements unmediated by
the GUI query-building tools in Access; also to get a little solider on my
database theory.

- If you haven't already, think of a concrete project you'd like to use
PG with. Share with us a brief synopsis of the project: the problem, the
platform, the approach you'll think you'll take, and why you think PG
might be a good fit. It should be something that will be fun, and
perhaps a bit challenging for you.

I work with a very sophisticated application built on a postgres database
which is mostly manipulated by a Perl or PHP interface.  I'd like to extend
its functionality, although I don't do the programming I hope at least to
get some data structures and prototyping done.

Thanks to Michelle for taking on this class!

--Peggy

Peggy Baker
cell 773-414-0292
Database Designs Assoc.