[Courses] [Postgresql] My Intro and comments

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Wed Nov 21 17:02:34 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I should introduce myself, and explain why I wanted to teach this
course. I also wanted to comment on what folks had written so far.

I have been using Linux since 1995, and PostgreSQL since it was called
Postgres95. I did a bit of early web programming using PG and what was
then called PHP/FI (and subsequently just became PHP). I switched to
perl in 1998 or so, because it was (at the time) so much more mature and
feature rich, but I never really switched to MySQL - I've been using PG
all this time.

I have worn many hats in my work life - from academic to web database
developer, to my current role - coordinator of a nonprofit focused on
open source software, and a strategic technology consultant. I have, in
many ways always remained an educator, and I thought that I'd like to
start providing courses on the net. So this is my first.

There are folks in this course who haven't used databases at all, and
those who are intimately familiar with SQL and database management, who
want to learn about PG, and hone their advanced skills (and may well
know quite a bit more than I do.) For a teacher, that's quite a
challenging range! I'll warn those of you on the upper ends that a lot
of this will be geared more toward the beginners - ultimately, I want
people to become familiar with using a database, and familiar with what
PG has to offer.

That said, I'll also try to incorporate some more advanced (or "extra
credit") assignments to stretch some of you all on the upper end. And,
please feel free to chime in with your own knowledge and expertise when
you'd like! I'd welcome it.

Another reminder: really, THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTONS! This is, of
course, one of the hallmarks of the way Linuxchix works - but I want to
make sure that people know and understand that, and don't feel intimidated.

The range of projects looks very interesting - I'm glad there are both
web and desktop projects, and web projects using a range of languages.
Because it's what I know, I'll be focusing examples more on perl/php
(probably some python), and on the desktop - ODBC and open office. But
it would be great to hear about people's experiences doing other things,
like using Rails, or Amarok (that is *such* a good idea, Valorie, I
can't wait to find out how it works.)

So, let's keep going! I'm looking forward to reading more intros and
assignments.

Peace,
Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain
Coordinator, Nonprofit Open Source Initiative

Skype: pearlbear
AIM: pearlbear0