[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 7: Assumptions Make....]

Isabelle Hurbain isabelle.hurbain at pasithee.fr
Thu May 31 05:36:15 UTC 2007

Le Tue, 29 May 2007 07:38:35 +1000,
Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> a écrit :

> - "You know all about computers, can you fix my PC for me?"
> I've managed to train my family out of that by repeated "No, I don't
> use MS-Windows, I can't help you."

Many people do not have any idea of what is computer science. "I'm a
Ph.D. Student in CS" got me more than once "oh, then maybe you can fix
my printer" and other stuff of this kind... Or, because my thesis
subject had to do with H.264 encoding, the assumption that I know every
tiny timsy option of every piece of software ever written to encode or
read a DiVX.
And then, when you explain that no, you can't, your considered either
as a bad or as an incompetent person in your field. Nice indeed.

Isa