[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 7: Assumptions Make....]

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Mon May 28 18:28:10 UTC 2007

People make incorrect assumptions about everything about me, because I
don't fit cleanly into any one stereotype.
I've reached the point where I don't really care what people assume or
don't assume about me, unless they're hiring me for a contract. I want
to be sure that my clients know I am technically capable and
responsible, etc. But aside from that, I have stopped caring what anyone
assumes about me. They get most of it wrong, they eventually find out
they are wrong, and I genuinely don't care about any part of that process.
In my twenties, I didn't care, but it was a more belligerent
in-your-face, piss and vinegar social statement, where I had to make
sure everyone knew that I did not care what they thought of me. I think
this was a reaction to the times, when women were still being treated
like pretty ornaments in office environments and university campuses.
It's how I was able to side-step a lot of bullshit and get my work done.
In my thirties I mellowed out a bit. Now that I've hit 40, I feel as if
I am losing patience with age, and I don't have the time or energy for
stupid people, no matter how many cross my path. I just ignore them, or
like pesky  flies, I swat them away. My time is shorter, and thus more
valuable to me, so I'm being more picky about how and with whom I spend it.
I no longer need to have long heated debates with people about womens
achievements, my achievements, their own narrow-mindedness, or anything
else. They can learn on/from someone else, the hard way.
This attitude I have has served to drastically narrow my friends and
acquaintances down to a handful, and I'm actually happy about that.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm becoming too antisocial and introverted for my
own good. Then I watch mainstream media for five minutes, and realize,
no, I'm not missing a damned thing.
Gloria