[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 5: The Hardest Nos]

Valerie Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Wed May 2 05:29:16 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Poppy Lochridge <poppychix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently started a new job after being laid off from the job from
> hell. The new job pays significantly more than the job from hell did.
> When my husband found out what they were offering me, the first thing
> he did was tell his friends. No-one has come to either of us yet
> looking for handouts, but when he told me he'd told them all about my
> offer, I cringed. The damage was done, so being upfront with my
> discomfort about it didn't seem like it would get me anywhere, and I
> didn't say anything. I think now that maybe I should have.... and
> that it's not too late and I should say something now anyway.
> Granted, the worst that's happened is that they tease him about
> having a "sugar momma" now that I make more, and their teasing
> doesn't bother me.

Congratulations on getting a much better job that pays well too!  I
think it's wonderful - and feminist - that your husband was so proud
of you that he told all his friends.  When I was last in your
situation, my boyfriend got incredibly insecure and mean after I got
my new job, and we broke up instead. :) More than likely, knowing
about your experience and your great new job (with great new salary)
will inspire your friends, female and male, to go out and look for
more satisfying jobs.  Enjoy being an example!

-VAL