[Courses] [Postgresql] Week 2 assignments

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Sat Dec 8 15:21:18 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have now had a chance to read the assignments from last week. I'm
excited to see how folks are doing! I hope that people who have been
quiet or lurking will chime in. I'm especially interested in
installation issues on non-linux platforms.

In terms of doing dual installations - there are several issues that a
number of you ran into - which was part of the point!

First - postgresql does, by default, take port 5432 - so if you already
have one version of PG running, the second won't be able to start unless
you give it a different port to run on.

Second - the wonderful package managers do so much for you! They set up
the startup scripts and everything. When you compile from source, you
need to create your own scripts.

Postgresql has a cool utility called pg_ctl, which can be used to start
and stop PG. Do a "man pg_ctl" - that will show you all sorts of
options. You can pipe all options to the postgresql server through
pg_ctl - so different ports, etc. So it is possible to write a very
simple startup script using pg_ctl.

Check out this page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/server-start.html

It has lots of detail on starting the server.

Moodle notes: Theoretically, all of the moodle bugs have been solved!
(Yay for the web team!!)

So, you might have to *one last time*, when you go to the moodle page,
and it sends you back to the linuxchix page telling you how long you've
been a member, log out, log back in, and then navigate back to
http://courses.linuxchix.org. This should solve the problem forever more
(we hope.)

Please let me know if you are still having Moodle issues. There is a
forum on Moodle now:
http://courses.linuxchix.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=17 that anyone can
post topics to. Please do!

Thanks for all of your patience on the Moodle stuff.

Also, a reminder - IRC chat at 22:00 UTC (which is 5:00pm EST), on
irc.linuxchix.org #courses. Hope to see you there!

Great work everyone!

Peace,
Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain
Coordinator, Nonprofit Open Source Initiative

Skype: pearlbear
AIM: pearlbear0