[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 3: 101 Satisfying Retorts For All Occassion]

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Apr 14 23:52:32 UTC 2007

Gayathri Swaminathan wrote:
> Has anyone heard stereotypes such as these:
>
> "Come on girls! you can do it" <---in an all men team with three or four
> women or,
>
> "I will see your girls later"<---when a few men and some gals are
> conversing
> on general topics
>
> "She dint take her happy pills"<--when dealing with a tough female
> manager

I've heard variants on this applied to male managers as well. Have no
clue whether its applied to female managers more often. Possibly,
because tough management goes against some stereotype expected female
behavior. The "be nice" expectation in this case, which in my mind is
ridiculous, especially when applied to a female manager. From my point
of view, a (wo)man who adheres to the "be nice" prototype, should never
be a manager. And yes, some man have that problem as well. A different
way to describe it is "what would the neighbors think of this?

> Is being a girl equated in these instances to being less strong,
> talkative
> and needing pills to be happy?!
If the first example is from sports, its actually biological truth...
Generally speaking (exceptions always present) females are physically
less strong than males. On talkative, i actually do not know who is more
talkative. males or females. I strongly think the difference is not that
big. To me the difference seems to be more in the subject matter of the
"discussion". And in both cases, some topics are preferred with no
member of the other sex around.

Cheers,

Rudy