[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 1: Dreams]

Sheryl gubydala at his.com
Wed Apr 4 23:18:27 UTC 2007

Horatio wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:02:49PM -0400, Sheryl wrote:
>
> There are areas of being human that are incompatible with some of the
traditional views of being an occidental male. Some of the fiercest
enforcers of this kind of limit are other men.

I agree completely, and it occurred to me after I sent the email that I
was too general.  For that I apologize.

> It's not disagreement, exactly, but you may want to reconsider your
assumption that men have no such limits inside their heads, and that
they don't compromise their lives to honour them.  It's not just
communities of gender that have such cultural baggage, but that's
another thread, I suspect..

It's not really my assumption.  It was carelessness in choice of words.  I
work in a male environment and we've talked about these limits many times.

But for the most part, the man's baggage gives him more permission to
strive for things and the woman's baggage discourages her from striving
for things.  It's the "cinderalla" effect I was talking about -- sit
around being sweet and pretty until someone steps in and makes you a
princess.

Men didn't have to deal with that.  They had to deal with other stuff.
Protector stuff, breadwinner stuff.  It's not easier, just wasn't what we
were talking about at the time.

> Are my dreams welcome?

As far as I'm concerned, absolutely.  And your ambitions too.  :-)

Sheryl