[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 1: Dreams]

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Tue Apr 3 21:38:50 UTC 2007

I think both of these points are very valid, and in my past, it was a
soul searching act to figure out where I stood at any given point in
time. It used to be really tricky at times for me to determine if I've
thought/acted out of other's expectations of me, or if I was truly in
touch with how I felt at the moment. Sometimes I was sure, and sometimes
I was not. And to make matters worse, when I was certain that I've
acted/thought as I truly felt like doing at a given moment, I'd lament
over whether or not it was "right" (whether I've hurt anyone's feelings,
etc.)

Once I stopped the lamentation, the guilt part of all of this, my own
inner voice became clear. It took much practice for me to stop feeling
guilty for my actions, because I was raised to do so. It's almost easier
not to act, if it's this easy to defeat yourself, and if it's so easy
for other women to invalidate you simply by questioning your thoughts or
actions. I've been there, I know how this feels, and I was raised by a
female who took full advantage of my self doubt and guilt.

If you are like me, if you emotionally bruise easily, re-examining your
thoughts, dreams, desires is a necessity. But doing it at someone else's
prompting is the problem. Do it if and when you feel like it. Know that
whatever conclusion you come to is absolutely, unequivocally correct
*for you*. No one else can know this but you. And the circular
never-ending guilt part...well, fuck that shit. It does no good
whatsoever, so simply don't do it.

Gloria