[Courses] please reply with what kind of courses are you interested in

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Sep 28 11:39:09 EST 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005, Steven Walker wrote:
> I would really like to know about email and running my own mail server.
> There are lot s of articles and howtos dealing with individual programs
> like  Sendmail, Fetchmail, Courier,
> SpamAssassin, Procmail etc but very little on how to turn those individual
> links into a chain - if you see what I mean.

Since there are a lot of choices for making this chain:

 1. Mail Transport Agent: Sendmail, Postfix, Exim or qmail

 2. Mail Delivery Agent: procmail or any of the above

 3. IMAP or POP server (remote access to mailboxes): uw-imap, courier,
    dovecot...

 4. Spam filtering: SpamAssassin or SpamBayes or a number of others

 5. Mail User Agents: mutt, Evolution, KMail, slypheed and millions of
    others

and a lot of the choices are independent, people wanting this might want
to specify their needs a little better... ie, how do you want to use
your mail?

-Mary