[Courses] Subscribing to topics

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Sep 21 07:51:42 EST 2005

People participating in my course, you should have gotten your first
message on Sunday. If you didn't get this message:
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/courses/2005-September/001943.html
, check your settings.

Some people have had trouble with this, so I thought I'd post about it.
There are two types of messages to courses:
 1. messages with a topic
 2. messages without a topic.

To find out your settings, go to
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo/courses and log in right
down the bottom where it says "unsubscribe or edit options".

Once you've put in your password, have a look at your answers to "Which
topic categories would you like to subscribe to?"

These control the settings for messages with a topic. Here are the

 1. You've selected some topics. This means that you will get messages
    with those topics and NOT get messages with other topics.

 2. You haven't selected any topics. This means that you will get ALL
    topic messages.

All course lessons have a topic, thanks to the extra tag in the subject.
So course lessons are controlled by your answer here.

Now have a look at your answers to "Do you want to receive messages that
do not match any topic filter?". NOTE that it only takes effect if
you've selected things in the question above. It controls messages like
this one: if you choose "No" you won't get them, if you choose "Yes" you
will get them.

It seems confusing to us too, however the software we use is not
templatable on that screen, and we did not write it. If you want to help
improve it, offer suggestions upstream to the Mailman developers.

-Mary