[Courses] please reply with what kind of courses are you interested in

Esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 20:03:31 EST 2005

For what it's worth, a year or so ago, I was quite keen to laern Perl
when I had the time. Since then, the seer number of available laguages,
and the  arguments for and against each by those already using them
have quite simply put me off the idea - how the heck is a nwbie to know
whether or not they will be wasting their time learning  any particular
language?   The fnal straw for me was in trying to find smthing simple
enough that I could be assured of getting some kind of useful result
whilst being interesting enough to, well, hold my interest.  When I
asked quesions in various places regarding what I had in mind (a repeat
of something I did on an Amiga years ago)  I received such contradictory
and downright discouraging responses (amazingly, it appears that modern
technology makes that prticular project harder to implement, rather than
easier!) that I decided to give up.

The only stuff like programming of any kind I've been doing lately is
the occasional use of the console for very minor tasks, and learning a
bit of very basic SQL at work, so I can more quickly find bits of info
in database tables where visual inspection using the SpeedSQL interface
is impractical. I've just learnt about joins, and have only just
finished a wee lesson using some simple ones.   But (a) I can see a
clear use for it, (b) it's intelligible (well... those joins are more
difficult in practice than in principle, but YKWIM) and (c) I'm not
getting a lot of contradictory arguments over whether I should be
learning that or something else.

For me to go  for any other kind of programming course, it will need to
meet those same points.  Is there a clear use for it?  Does the language
seem intelligible to me? And whilst I don;t mind seeing a short list of
strengths and weaknesses, I really do NOT want arguments over whether I
should belearning the ruddy thing at all, or to be told that some proble
I've hit would b best handled by some other flipping language.

I would absolutely LOVE a kind of generalised "programming with Linux"
course, which, if necessary, selects up to three languages (DEFINITELY
no more than four)  that are relatively simple to grasp but that in
conjunction, can get quite a bit of Useful Stuff done, with some
interesting examples early on (Can I just say I loathe seeing "hello
world"?!  This seems to be a sure sign that the language being taught is
too esoteric for beginners and only used by its inventor plus chums or
the l333t types - or otherwise by advanced programmers)).  Doesn't
matter whether something else is better for the job, doesn't matter
whether it's a bit slow or clunky compared to a "best" solution.  So C
and Java are right out.  Something as readable and comprehensible as
old-style BASIC - or that can be acually used in a wa that is as clear
as that, a least.  At work, I sometimes find myself looking at
ColdFusion code. I can't write the stuff and have no need to - but I CAN
follow the logic and generally help pinpoint where a problem has arisen
so the programmers can fix it.  And I'm sure if I had time to take a
course in it that I could learn ColdFusion.   I want to see stuff like
that.  Not esoteric strings of characters maipulating even more esoteric
programming concepts.  Those can come later.  Ater all, I larnt to talk
early on with phrases like "want biscuit!" and "no!" not "Excuse me, may
Ihave a biscuit?" or "Thank you, but I do not want that"  "want
biscuit!" gets the job done - and leads one on the way to the moe
complex and elgant stuff...

Damn, I've soapboxed. Apologies, but I;ve found it really frustrating,
having once been fairly good at the programing of the day (twenty years
ago) to find myself nowadays unable to get wondrous things out of modern
technology by my own efforts, rathr than using someone else's solution..

Esme