[Courses] [Ruby] Lesson 0: Installing

Anne G anne at wjh.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 18 09:32:19 EST 2005

Hi

I started thinking about lesson 1, but I am spending most of
my time reading about set ups.

I would like to look at ruby class methods, but I have not
figured out how to do that. there is something called ri
which is a terminal program but I have not really figured
out how to use it to look at class methods, what they do...

could someone post some examples of how to use ri, or any
other tool that would be useful in that regard?

for objective C there was a nice little application
AppKiDo 0.94 which let you look at classes, methods...

In xcode there were ways to use key combinations to find
definitions... What is the best way -- beside the book which
should come next week -- to find out information

I have also been thinking about GUI and how to do that in
Ruby for a web application. I found an example using tk

Here is the snipet I found which makes a button:

require 'tk'
root = TkRoot.new
button = TkButton.new(root) {
  text "Hello,Anne"
  command proc { puts "I said"}

}

button.pack
Tk.mainloop

It runs on ruby terminal, but it does not run on rubycocoa,
and it does not run on emacs.

I would really like to be set up in an environement where I
don't have to use terminal and unix commands. I would like
to use mac applications, mac windows and editors. I don't
know what to do to get a set up I will be able to use with
GUIs if this basic one does not work!

Any idea why rubycocoa and emacs don't find tcltklib?
It is a directory in ext in the ruby 1.8.3 source file, but
I don't know what happens to it during install or how to
set up a mac path so ruby finds it in those other
environments

In addition, I got a response which suggest GUIs are quite
complex and I don't know which package I should use, if it
is set up by default or not...

Here is the response:
> rubycocoa is the Ruby interface bindings to the native
> cocoa GUI toolkit of the Mac.  tcl is a scripting
> language and its standard GUI toolkit is tk that uses
> non native widgets - i.e. has its own unique look and
> feel.  tclTkAqua is the tcl Tk toolkit that uses native
> Mac widgets The tk toolkit is widely ported and many
> other bindings to it have been produced, including Ruby.

> If you are using rubycocoa then it doesn't make sense to
> me why you would want to use tcl, tk or tckTkAqua as you
> are trying to mix different GUI toolkits.

What guis will we be using for this course?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Anne
PS
my two posts on comp.lang.ruby