[Courses] [Ruby] Lesson 0: Installing, References, and your first homework assignment

Beth Camero beth-lists at compu-diva.com
Thu Nov 10 04:20:44 EST 2005

Hi all -
I'm not going to get to this for a week either, so I'll just introduce
myself.  My name is Beth Camero, I'm a 49 y.o. semi-geeky woman,
managing network/desktop/web support for a mid-size non-profit
association in Sacramento, California.  I've worked there for 15 years,
and basically created the job I have.  I was hired lo those 15 years ago
as a non-typing secretary who had never touched a computer.  Somebody
there showed me WordPerfect on a little old PC (one of 3 stand-alones,
tennis-shoe network only) and I fell in love.  Learned lots, became the
computer guru for the office, grew a network and turned us into a
[fairly] high-tech place.

I'm probably in the wrong place.  I've never done any real programming
but I'm interested in it.  I have programmers who come in and work for
me occasionally and we do web projects together.  I don't remember where
I ran across Ruby but it sounded so interesting that I thought I'd see
if I could do it.  Worth a shot! I don't know anyone who is using it,
but quickly creating web apps - what a concept! There are SO many things
I'd like to do at work but don't have the $$ for the programming ...
I'm going to be working on a Windoze system, I hope that won't be a
problem.  I have a couple of Linux servers at work, but I don't have any
Linux desktops.
My kid is going to take this course, too - he's  a newbie
programmer/techie but smart as a whip.  I'm hoping he'll  be able to
help me. :)
Wish me luck!
Beth