[Courses][gimp] Lesson 8: Text Effects (How to get really cool looking text)

Julie Sloan juliesloan at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 29 16:44:40 EST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 07:55 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Up to now, we've created text using the text tool.
> But GIMP can create much more interesting text than that.
>
> LOGO SCRIPTS

I added text to a photo here:

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/sapphie.jpg

> LOGO-IZING EXISTING TEXT

For some reason this lesson was really hard for me.   I think my main
problem is forgetting I have layers toggled on or off.  Frustrating  :)

> MAKING DROP SHADOWS

> Now make all the letters in the shadow layer black.  The fastest way
> to do that is to make sure black is selected as the foreground color
> in the toolbox, select the Bucket Fill tool, check "FG Color Fill" and
> "Fill Whole Selection" in the tool options, turn on "Keep
> Transparency", then click on a letter.

In Gimp 1 instead of "Fill Whole Selection" I think you need to use
Select>All or Ctrl-A from the main menu.

I used text from my husband's website, which I need to fancy up anyway  :)

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/logo1b.jpg

> COLORING TEXT USING "KEEP TRANSPARENT"
>
> One last note in case you find your solid-colored text too boring.
> You can use that "Keep Transparent" button to make it easy to
> color your text in unusual ways.

Way cool  :)

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/logo1c.jpg

--

...the continuing popularity of micro$oft window$ only proves that ten
million monkeys really *do* sit down at ten million keyboards...