[Courses] [Careers] Maria finds academia

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Mar 1 09:13:35 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005, Maria Mckinley wrote:
> I guess if I could get a variety of programming work that would be my
> preference.  I like working in two labs, because I am dealing with
> different problems, but it doesn't have to be both sysadmin and
> programming to get the variety, the programming is varied as well.

How do you deal with the "task switching" problem, or is it not an issue
for you? I know when I was working on two very different tasks
reghularly (each had 2 days a week of my time) I had a lot of trouble on
the first day of each task trying to remember where I was up to. I ended
up requesting that I do a fortnight long cycle (4 days on one task one
weke, 4 days on the other task the next week).

-Mary