[Courses] [gimp] Lesson 1: (homework done)

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:49:48 EST 2005

Hi:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:02:50 +0100, Kjersti Bjørnestad Berg
<kjersti.b.berg at start.no> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Akkana: Thanks for doing this course, I have tried to learn GIMP on my
> own for some time now, and I'm hoping this can get me started for real!
> :-)
>
> For the first homework I used an image of the harbour in Bergen taken
> December 2004.
>
> You can see the pictures here:
> http://home.no.net/tuttings/

Very nice.
____________________________________
Here is a cropped and rescaled picture of my friend Merckle.
http://www.silbsd.org/beastie/merckle2.jpg

I have a few questions though. I first saved the original photo as a
GIMP *.xcf file. Then I did the cropping and rescaling. That resulted
in the above image. I also tried the "resize" setting, which is part
of the crop tool (scalpel), and found that I could not save the image
to *.jpg. It said:

 "Your image should be exported before it can be saved for the
following reasons:
               JPEG can't handle transparency"

What is the purpose of resizing or are you going to cover that later?

 Also I saved the same image as a *.png but the *.png is much larger
than the *.jpg (44k vs 409k) despite the fact that the quality appears
to be about the same. Is the *.jpg format that much better than *.png
? The *.png is here: http://www.silbsd.org/beastie/merckle2A.png
Both were saved from the same *.xcf file.

                                                  Kind regards
                                                  Jon