[Courses] [gimp] Lesson 0: Welcome! Get Familiar with the GIMP

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jan 26 05:02:34 EST 2005

Julie Sloan writes:
> What do you mean by "digital images."  I have some good scanned
> images mostly from a 35mm but my digital camera is poor quality.

Nearly any image will do.

Most of the exercises I'll be suggesting in the early lessons
will involve taking an existing image and doing something to it:
changing the size, changing brightness or colors, combining two
images, sharpening.  So you'll need some raw material to start with.
It doesn't have to be wonderful quality, or any particular size,
and it's fine if it's downloaded from somewhere.

Thanks to those who posted suggestions for sites to get photos!
I'll collect these as a list and put the list up on the courses page.

Other possibilities are government sites: national park services
have lots of pretty scenic photos, fish & game departments
have animal photos, and space agencies like NASA and the Hubble
Space Telescope have photos of planets and astronomical objects.
Most of these are public domain, so you can use them to make images
and not have to worry about copyright restrictions.

CreativeCommons.org is another source for photos with generous
copyright allowances.

	...Akkana