[Courses][gimp] Lesson 2: Lightening, Darkening, Sharpening

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 04:48:12 EST 2005

Ok Akkana:

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:29:33 -0800, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> In lesson 1, we learned how to take a photo and crop and resize it.
> But what if the image isn't quite right?  What if it's too light,
> or too dark?  What if it isn't quite sharp?  Can we fix that?

Before:
http://www.silbsd.org/beastie/photo004reduced.jpg

After Contrasting, brightening and sharpening.

http://www.silbsd.org/beastie/Mountain.jpg

 I realize I am a little behind here but a few quick questions:

1) I should always save in the native *.xcf before doing alterations?
I did that with this image.

2) These images were large so I worked on them in their original large
size and then reduced them using the techniques from lesson 1. Is that
the proper thing to do or should I reduce them first? Which sequence
gives better image quality: alter first and then reduce or reduce and
then alter ?

  I must say this really quite a good course Akkana. Thanks!

                                                   Kind regards,
                                                   Jonathan