[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Mon Feb 7 23:58:14 EST 2005

Mary wrote:

> Does Silicon Valley commonly have a "no poaching" clause? I've seen
> several contracts in Australia where there's a clause saying you can't
> hire anyone else from the company until six months after you leave.

I'm not sure about Silicon Valley, but almost everywhere I've worked in
Washington, DC has had a similar clause. As well as a "sell your soul to
  the company" and non-compete clause.

I negotiated my current contract before I'd sign it.  It had originally
said "all work you produce during your employment belongs to the
company"  I had it changed to read "all work produced during work hours
or while using company equipment belongs to the company"  Allowing me to
work on other stuff outside of work.

Elwing