[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Julie B joulie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:18:41 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:02:22 +1100, Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org> wrote:

> Does Silicon Valley commonly have a "no poaching" clause? I've seen
> several contracts in Australia where there's a clause saying you can't
> hire anyone else from the company until six months after you leave.

I haven't heard of a "no poaching" clause before, so I can't say if
that's ever practiced around here. In fact, it may be against our
labor laws, but that's just speculation. I know that in my software
group, 3 of the 6 developers worked with my manager at least once
before, one I think more than once.  In my previous company, that
manager also hired on several people she had worked with before and
the manager in the other department filled his entire team with people
he had worked with numerous times before, so that group all knew each
other very well.

It's common from higher-up the ladder, too. I've seen the VPs of
engineering hire managers they've had work for them before.

-Julie