[Courses][gimp] Lesson 2: Lightening, Darkening, Sharpening

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Feb 7 16:14:23 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005, Julie Sloan wrote:
> I am not very good at this.  :/

I think it's really a question of practice, on a bunch of images.

I did a drawing class on the weekend and something that was mentioned is
that our brains are GREAT at recognising faces and picking out things
from them, and hence also great at finding things wrong with them.
Unless you're an artist, you spend a lot more time looking at and
processing faces than you do producing faces. Hence when you start
drawing faces, your critical faculty is way ahead of your drawing
faculty.

In exactly the same way, you spend time every day seeing light and
shadow and processing it. You have decades of experience in processing
light patterns. Unless you do image manipulation though (or possibly
have experience in realistic drawing and/or manual photography), you
probably have very little experience in producing light patterns
yourself.

In both cases, your lifetime experience in seeing and processing makes
you a very harsh critic of your production. So... just practice :) After
a few photos you'll be better at saving photos that can be saved and
recognising ones that just don't have the information in them.

-Mary