[Courses][Linux comands] customizing a 2.4 kernel

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Thu Mar 25 10:45:39 EST 2004

I actually build a custom kernel on a very regular basis.  Debian's a
little slow on the uptake on latest kernels (even if there's a local
exploit in them).  We also apply the international kernel patch which
provides for an encrypted file system - although 2.6 has this built in
by default.  Also, if you're using a 2.4 kernel, and you want to
use/support IPSEC and interoperate with a Windows machine - you have to
patch it for free S/WAN  (note: don't use Debian's kernel sources for
this - they backported the ipsec stuff from 2.6 and the free S/WAN
patches won't work)

The next project is setting up debian 32/64 on my opteron that's
supposed to be here today - I will be forced to compile my own kernel
because I have to compile a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit system (this is
gonna be fun - anyone else done it?)

I don't think there are any systems that I run that have a kernel that I
  (or my boyfriend) haven't manually built.

Other reasons to build your own kernel:
1) server - kernel, I/O, memory optimizations - although a lot of this
is "settable" using sysctl now
2) the geek factor :)
3) habit - it drives me nuts not having complete control over the
kernel, it's an old habit from my slackware days where that's what you did.

Side note: if you use Debian and want to compile your own kernel and
make it a nice package, see
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.html

Laura