Course suggestions, running a course (Re: [Courses] hmmm)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Jun 2 13:26:47 EST 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> In the interest of provoking increased activity on the courses list,
> does anyone have a topic which they would like to see covered?

Here's a few that have been raised in the past year or so:

 - regular expressions
 - power editing (with vi(m) or emacs)
 - kernel hacking (a number of lessons were posted to grrls-only a few
   years ago, and kernel topics could go on the under-used kernelchix
   list)

A couple I'd be interested in personally:
 - using the GIMP (intermediate -- advanced)
 - cool application of the week (highlighting interesting Linux
   applications, a bit different from the commands course but similar in
   spirit)

People might also want to consider non-techie courses: Carla's small
business one was very interesting.

I would suggest to course maintainers that they keep it short and
focussed (six lessons at the most). I don't think any course maintainer
has managed to sustain more than six months of activity on this list and
many much less. I think the readers would prefer to have a short course
which is complete than a long one that falters.

If you want to run a course, please notify volunteers at linuxchix.org and
also courses-owner at linuxchix.org so that they can add a topic for you.

-Mary