[Courses] [Domains] Choosing a host

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Jul 12 07:42:38 EST 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Replying a week late; but I wanted to mention a couple of issues
> that have come up in my hosting experiences.

Thanks Akkana.

> Always make your own backups; don't count on your ISP to do so.

I've found the easiest way to do this is to maintain a "master copy" of
my website locally -- I make all changes on my own machine, check them
here, and upload them with rsync or unison.

Backing up mail is a bit more difficult, although if you're downloading
it from the server, that's enough of a backup. If you're reading it over
IMAP, you could back it up with offlineimap or a similar program, or
possibly just sync the mailboxes with rsync.

-Mary