[Courses] Re: Linux C

JesterDev jester.dev at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 13:29:45 EST 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 01:32 pm, ed orphan wrote:
> JesterDev asked about C tutorials.
> You could look at:
> http://www.gustavo.net/programming/c_tutorials.shtml
> or just do a Google search for "C tutorials"
> There is lots of free stuff out there, but try to find
> an ANSI standard C. Something generic. You don't
> want to get into bad habbits like using functions that
> only work on a particular company's version of C.
> ( It's not just MicroS that has this problem )
>    I perfer books. Easier on the eyes and you can
> look at them while you type. Try the local public
> library or a used book store to save money.
> Something like:
> SAMS Teach Yourself C in 24 Hours
> If you've decided on GNU Linux C  ( just because
> Linux is the best and GNU C /C++ is free and the best,
> don't let me influence you! ), take a look at
> Beginning Linux Programming, WROX Press or
> SAMS Teach Yourself Linux Programming in 24 Hours.
>   Somewhere on the Net is a file called C Snippets
> which is mostly legacy DOS ( but useful ) chucks of
> C code. It has an excellent pointer tutorial worth getting.
> Pointers are very important in C.    Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. I bought a book yesterday:
Practical C Programming (Oreilly) and it covers
Dos, Windows, and Linux. Someone also sent me
a link to GNU specific c programming also.  I've read
several WROX press books over the years, so I'll
have to check that one out also of course.

You don't have to influence me, I love Linux and
theres no denying  the power and flexibility it offers me. :)

Michael
--
~ I lost my shadow in the darkness,
I've found it again by the fire I've lit ~