[Courses] Course idea/request

Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 03:26:22 EST 2004

At some point, I'd like to see some courses on specific software packages
for the idiot linux user.  What I have in mind is some really basic
step-by-step stuff to get a beginner to where, say, the O'Reilly books
and/or man pages are useful.  (At least for me, if I'm really starting from
zero, those can be interesting, but not inherently useful until I get to a
step or two into understanding the program.)

Specifically what I have in mind is something like "mysql for people who
have only ever worked with idiot-gui db programs on Windows"---it seems like
most of the books I've seen are aimed a bit more at "OK, database expert,
this is how this particular db application works".

Clearly mysql (from install to configure to use) is a bit more complex than
"open MSWorks, click database", but I'm bloody determined to grok mysql
without having to yell for the guru on the other end of the room ("Okay,
just let me have your box for a minute and I'll have it up and running.").
Where I'm at right now (on an OS X Mac) is "downloaded and installed,
apparently, but I have no idea what to do next."

I'm sure there are other unix packages that have a fairly sharp learning
curve for which one is not prepared at all coming from either a Win or Mac
background, but mysql is the one that just jumps out at me off the top of my
head, and my personal bugaboo at the moment.

Is it just me, or would others find that useful?

--pig, who has only ever used mysql via other folks' idiot-usable webpage
interfaces