[Courses] [Linux commands]: /etc/crontab, crontab

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Feb 9 17:50:05 EST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 11:44 am, Christine Bussman wrote:
> My system is set up by default so that only root can set
> up a cron job  (trying to execute crontab -l as another
> user gives a permission denied error).  Is this a security
> feature, and if so, what are the risks of disabling it?
> (i.e.
> using chmod on /usr/bin/crontab)

It's supposed to be this way, ordinary users are not supposed to have power
over other users. Users can create/edit only their own crontabs, only root
has power over all. You can mess with it, it's your system. :)

> Another 'quirk' on my system in comparison to what you
> have described is that when I look at the contents of
> /etc/crontab, it begins with
> # remember to give cron a sighup when updating this file
>
> Is this a function of what particular cron program I am
> using?  (I installed vcron because that was what the
> gentoo install guide suggested rather than the other listed
> options)

Most systems use Vixie cron, I'm not familiar with vcron.

> Another system I use doesn't even have /etc/crontab,
> and running the crontab command returns 'command not
> found'.  I'm just curious how these systems relate to what
> you are describing.

Beats the heck out of me! /etc/crontab and the crontab command have been
around since like forever. What systems are you running?
--
Carla Schroder