[Courses] [Python] About Python Course

anand b pillai abpillai at lycos.com
Tue May 13 12:15:24 EST 2003

Hi All!

 I am a python hobbyist programmer. You can find my python page mentioned in the Personal Pages category of the python programming  language in most search engine directories. I am a programmer based in Bangalore, India.

 I was following the thread in your website about the python course. It happens that I am developing a program in pure python which can be used as to grab webpages from the internet.(What they call as "web-spiders" or "robots"). The program is in the beta stage but is quite usable for geeks. (like you :-)). Since I needed somebody to test it apart from me and my friends, I was wondering whether to post the source code in my website, if you people agree to use it for grabbing, say python documentation/books from the internet.

 The program and source code will be under GNU GPL so that anyone can use and modify at will as long as they keep the original copyright. The program uses only standard modules in the python library, so you people can just download the source and use it, to say "off-the-shelf".

 This would be a great help for me in getting the program tested, and also for you in learning the intricacies of python language by seeing a real working app. It will be a command-line program with no GUI intricacies. Right now it works based on the settings in a config file, but I can add command-line options if needed.

Please let me know the group's decision. You can visit my homepage at http://members.fortunecity.com/anandpillai.
I shall post the latest code with some documentation on my website as soon as I get your (positive) reply. :-)

All the best for the all chix at linuxchix.org! :-)

Best Regards,

Anand B Pillai

PS: I am re-sending the original message with [Python] in the subject line as your webmaster Terri suggested.