[Courses] [Networking] Lesson 4 Phase 1 - Gathering Data

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 19:21:32 EST 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 09:39, Hamster wrote:

> # Step One - Names #
>
> First up we need to devise names for all our machines. Choosing a name
> for a computer is not difficult. It can be up to 24 characters long, and
> can include letters, numbers and a "-" (minus sign) (source - RFC 952).
> That's pretty much all there is to it!

Nit-picky technical correction:  the official standard on Internet names is
STD0003, "Requirements for Internet Hosts".  This becomes important because
there are multiple RFCs which say things about Internet names, and a couple
of them allow other things -- e.g., RFC1033 states that underscores (_) are
allowed in host names.  Since RFC1033 is not a standard, however, and
STD0003 is, STD0003 takes precedence.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>