[Courses] [FS] a socket + finger question

Madhavan, Srivatsan vatsan at grove.ufl.edu
Thu Jul 24 12:59:51 EST 2003

Hi --

I might be jumping ahead of time, too far ahead - but i am too
curious to know if anyone can explain this.

I have a .plan file on my home directory (in my school account).
Users withing the same network can finger me, and see the contents
of  the .plan file as well.

I replaced the .plan file with a named pipe called .plan,
and set up a background process whose job was to pick
a new fortune cookie each time and write it to .plan.

My idea was that everytime somebody finger'ed me, they'd
get a new fortune cookie too. But it didn't work. finger
behaved as if there was no .plan file at all. Any clue why ?

--
Vatsan.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it.