[Courses] [Networking] interfacing ppp0 to eth0 ?

mic mic at linefeed.org
Sat Dec 27 22:06:19 EST 2003

hi
i realize that hamster has closed the course, but i found it really really
helpful, and i hope hamster or those who experienced could help me out:

background:
-debian computer
-the lan works fine (thanks hamster)
-gets a dynamic ip from pacbell via the ppp0 (virtual?) interface
-part of  /etc/network/interfaces file:
#wan
auto eth0  #should this be ppp0 ?
iface eth0 inet ppp

#lan
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        gateway 10.0.0.1

$ pon dsl-provider
is providing me with a an ip address and netmask of 255.255.255.255 for
ppp0.

i don't understand how to connect ppp0's info with that of eth0?

is this all taken care of with the
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
command (which i still need to do some research on, before being able to
dialog on)

thanks
mic