[Courses] [Networking] Lesson 3 Advanced Hardware

Wayne wayne at waynesworld.com
Sun Aug 10 11:25:19 EST 2003

Dear Hamster:

>>>>From our home networking point of view, it doesn't matter a charged
particle if your cables conform to the 568A or 568B standard; as long as
they're straight through, they're fine.<<<<

http://www.linuxchix.org/pipermail/courses/2003-May/001186.html

I would like to disagree with the above statement. I have experience to the
contrary. I like you used to believe that straight-through was
straight-through, but I found out otherwise the hard way.

If you pick a color coding convention different than the 568-B standard when
running 568-B you can end up transmitting and receiving through the wrong
pair. This will not allow you to run at 100BT. 100BT relies on using a
certain pair. It does not matter which colors you use, but you have to hit
pairs. It's the twist in the pairs that allows 100BT. 10BT is more
forgiving, but if you want 100BT it's best to go with the 568-B coloring
conventions. It will work. The other way is a crap shoot. I can vouch for
this. I was tearing my hear out where I had straight-through, but not to
568-B coloring conventions. It ran fine at 10BT but would not run at 100BT.
I re-punched to the 568-B coloring conventions and the network went right to
100BT.

Am I clear as mud?

Regards,
Wayne Calhoon