[Courses] [C] Beginner's Lesson 4A: Arrays, Qualifiers, and Reading Numbers

Daniel. cristofd at hevanet.com
Thu Oct 10 22:06:32 EST 2002

A few little quibbles and clarifications:

>The number of elements in the array is called the DIMENSION
>of the array.

Hm, I don't think so. "float data[5]" is a one-dimensional array, not
a five-dimensional one. I'd call five the "length" of the array.

>	Strings are arrays of characters.  The special character `\0' (NUL)
>	indicates the end of a string.

And is just a zero, by the way. Saying '\0' instead of 0 emphasizes
its function as a string-terminator to the human reader, but makes no
difference to the compiler.

>	Note that string and character constants are very different:
>	"X" is a one character string. 'Z' is a single character.

That is, "X" is an array with two elements: an 'X' and a '\0', in that order.

>	Function             Description
>	-------------------+--------------------------------------
>	strcpy(s1, s2)     | Copy s1 into s2.
>	strcat(s1, s2)     | Concatenate s1 onto end of s2.

Other way around for both these; compare with the examples.

>	Since fgets() includes the newline and since there is a NUL
>	at the end of the string, if you don't trim off the last
>	character, the output would look like this:
>
>			The name is Jane
>			Doe.

Actually, since it'd happen for both names, it should be:
The name is Jane
Doe
.

>Note the ampersand in front of variable1. Don't forget it!

What it means will be explained later, of course.

-Daniel.
--
               ()  ASCII ribbon campaign
               /\    against HTML mail